Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Review of Pyramath

We were recently given the opportunity to review Pyramath, a math card game from I See Cards. This card game was designed to reinforce basic math skills: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The Pyramath deck includes 54 colorful cards that are clearly labeled with numbers, math symbols, and numerical translations in English, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, roman and French.

We opened the deck and became skilled players within 5 minutes! The instructions are clear and easy to follow. The basic game begins with 5-7 cards laid out in a row. Using two adjacent cards, you add, subtract, multiple or divide to see if the card you’ve drawn from the deck correctly solves the problem. If so, you play that card and begin to form your pyramid. The first player to create their pyramid wins.

One of the great things about this game is that it is customizable for any age or skill level. My 4th grader was comfortable with all methods of play but my 1st grader felt competent only in addition and subtraction. So, when I played with her, we only used the skills she was competent in. While proficient in math, neither of my children enjoys it. So when I brought out the deck and explained that we would be playing a math game, I expected to hear simultaneous groans. But, both children seemed interested right away. Now, they ask to play over and over again. I can’t ask for more than that in a math game.

The company’s slogan says Pyramath is a game you can’t afford not to buy. I wholeheartedly agree with that. It’s a fun and interesting way to reinforce math skills as well as foreign language development, strategy, and memorization. We love this game and it will be well-used in our homeschool!

No comments:

Post a Comment